lauantai 27. lokakuuta 2012

A film of the day and a song of the old(ish)

I first heard about Moth Diaries in Maven of the Eventide's review and was instantly drawn to it. It was a vampire movie, going back to the more classic vampire, it had an all-girl boarding school and it had Sarah Bolger in it who I'd really liked in the Tudors. (Well, I liked everyone in the Tudors. I hated quite a few of the characters, with a passion. Cardinal Wolsey, Thomas Cromwell and Catherine Howard, to name a few, but I thought the actors were doing a great job bringing these figures to life.) So I had high hopes for the movie. Here's the trailer:




Well I loved the visuals of it. Sarah Bolger was ok, but not quite as good as she was as Bloody Mary. Like Maven had said, a LOT of the dialogue just sounded stupid, unnatural and explainy (It is too a word!). The movie is riddled with hooks that could've made it a great movie. I kept thinking, if only they'd gone this way with the plot instead of this, and if only they'd done this more, it could've been a much better movie. I didn't hate it. No, Thor forbid. I thought it was entertaining, pleasant to look at, and it stayed true to it's pursuit of being a classic, gothic vampire story. It's just very explainy. It underestimates the capacity of the viewer to pick up things without having to be quite so literal in telling us. Even with all its faults, it left me very much wanting more of this kind of movies. So, if you're at all into vampires or gothic horror, I'd say watch it. I loved the movie it could've been, and I'm sure it has much potential for you to like it.

I welcome any suggestions you might have for other movies that do the gothic horror vampire thing better, I would love to see some good vampire movies that I may have missed!


Ok, I can't think of a good transition to this, but I just really wanted to share a song that's been bugging me the last couple of days, in a good way, Do the evolution by Pearl Jam:


I love the... um... I'm terrible with anything related to music so bear with me :)... guitar riff? There was a song on the Finnish Radio Rock this past summer that had something very similar and every time I heard that I kept thinking of this song. I love the lyrics, they go well with what I think is wrong with the world. Which, to make it short, is people thinking humans are some pinnacle of creation, and money, and charging interest, and greed in general. The images in the video should be disturbing or unpleasant, but to me they're mostly just sad. We should be above these things. We could be above these things. We've created so many great things and technologies, I don't think there is a limit for what we could do if only we could overcome the things restricting us: possessiveness and separating people to "us" and "them", mostly.


I could've added "... and a wine of 2011" to the title. I think I found a new favourite red today. It's an Australian one I picked out pretty much at random, but hey, can't go wrong with shiraz :). (I don't know too much about wine either, but) Lindeman's Bin 50 is just rich enough for me, a little bit sweet and not too light. And it goes amazingly well with salmiac/salt liquorice, which is a huge plus and a nice discovery for me as I love salmiac and most wines don't. Its alcohol content is already on the lower end at 13%, but I wouldn't mind it being 5% or even 0, so I could have the whole bottle in a night.

3 kommenttia:

  1. Hello !! I am your newest follower /

    Appreciate if U can FOLLOW me back Please ?:)

    Very pretty and classy, love the look :)
    I follow you now ! Wanna be your friend!
    Follow me back on facebook ,instagram, twitter,and GFC and add me as a friend in GFC
    love you dear :)

    Marcchanelette.blogspot.com
    MarcBelle Chanelene

    VastaaPoista
  2. Hei! Ihanaa blogi, minulla on 1 kysymys - tarjous, ota yhteyttä liilepik@gmail.com, ole niin ystävällinen...Odotan..

    VastaaPoista
  3. Hei! Ota yhteyttä kanssani, minulla on yksi ehdotus sinulle liilepik@gmail.com

    VastaaPoista